Sunday, September 19, 2010

Introduction

I was originally acquainted with geodesic structures back in college of 2004 when I found out about Buckminster Fuller's fullerene "buckyball" - a molecule made of carbon atoms which can form into a sphere. Actually it was probably much earlier than that, as I knew footballs were made like that, though I wasn't really interested in them at the time. What intrigued me was how straight lines of the same length could form into a spherical structure of such complex geometry, consisting of triangles, hexagons, and pentagons. I wanted to find out how to go about constructing such a structure myself since, each time I was staring at say, a geodesic dome, it confused the hell out of me. Unfortunately, it was much more complicated than just constructing it out of lines. I eventually found out that there are many types of geodesic structures, and not all of the lines were of equal length, but all of which were guided by an underlying mathematical order, which I had to study more on.
Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment